Yes, Tina hit the nail on the head when she sang "What's Love Got To Do With It". According to the the National Organization for Marriage (NOM) and the Bible, pretty much nothing.
After my run this morning hubby and I popped open the News Channel on the Wii and started reading the news of the day with our tea. I nearly spit my coffee out when I saw that NOM has started a four year plan to have marriage equality revoked in New York. The blog "The New Civil Rights Movement" had a post that gives the details of NOM's plan.
Their plan is basically to elect all "Pro Marriage" majorities in the House and Senate, elect "pro marriage" candidates in 2014 so they can get an amendment passed in 2015, finally passing a ballot measure in 2015.
A quote in the article I read on the Wii said "NOM wants to bring back biblical marriage".
Let's talk about biblical marriage. I found a relatively non-offensive site that lists all the bible verses that talk about marriage. (LINK)
In my reading there I believe the following to be true of biblical marriage.
1. You cannot have a divorce, if you do you commit adultery.
2. Your husband can sleep with the servants if you're sterile.
3. If you're raped, your rapist must pay the "Bride's price" to your family and marry you.
4. If you're not a virgin, you can't get married.
5. If your bother dies, you have to marry his wife.
6. It's better to live alone than with a wife who argues.
7. You can have several wives or one wife, it's pretty much up to the man, however a woman can only have one husband.
8. 15 foreskins is a good price for a wife.
9. You can't marry your sister, but you can marry your cousin.
10. If you're king, you can collect all the virgins of the land and put them in a court, if they gain your favor, give them cosmetics.
Sounds like just what I want.... NOT!
How about this for marriage.
1. Love me
2. Respect me
3. Don't hurt me
That's all I need. I don't need biblical marriage. Hell I don't believe that anyone alive today really "WANTS" biblical marriage. The most important thing about marriage is love. You have to love each other with your very being. You have to respect that person with the same respect that you show yourself. You have to not hurt that personal, physically and emotionally. That's a marriage. That's a partnership.
In my opinion, if NOM wants to "SAVE MARRIAGE", what needs to happen is that all the civil rights that have been attached to marriage need to be changed. Those rights need to be in a legal setting where they belong. They do not belong attached to the word Marriage. Get the government OUT of marriage. However, if you plan to protect people based on a personal decision to join their households together, and share their assets, those protections need to be applied equally across the board to ALL.
Love is Love is Love
Namaste & Blessed Be
I found this poster on a blog called Donuts Desires and just wanted to share it. Blessed Be )O(
This week I want to use my blog to call attention to something I recently learned about. A member of the Pagan community has decided that ...
There's a link going around social media right now regarding the Trump administration and witchcraft. Basically this group wants wit...
For the next few weeks I'm going to focusing on my diet. As many of you know I have lost about 65 pounds since last year and I'm t...
There comes a time in every budding witch's life when they have to talk about casting spells on people without their permission. Be it...